Go to Kinds of Energy to answer the following questions.
1. _______________ can be (is) stored or transferred from place to place, or object to object in different ways.
2. All moving things have ________________.
3. The heavier a thing is, and the faster it moves, the _______ kinetic energy it has.
4. The speedy movement of a fan's blades has ______ _______, which is then transferred into _______ that you now feel.
Kinetic Energy in Use
5. The spinning blades or shafts are connected to a generator which generates the ___________.
The generator is connected to a ________________ which supplies our _________ with electricity.
6. In order for work to be done, an object has to supply a _____ for another object to be ______.
7. In your own words, give an example of mechanical energy that was not described on this page.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
8. ___________ is produced when a force causes an object or substance to vibrate — the energy is transferred through the substance in a wave.
9. Sound energy is usually measured by its pressure and intensity, in special units called _____ and __________.
10. In your own words, describe the relationship between volume and air pressure. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
11. Thermal energy is what we call energy that comes from the ___________ of matter.
12. The amount of thermal energy in an object is measured in __________.
13. A swimming pool at 40°C is at a lower temperature than a cup of tea at 90°C. However, the swimming pool contains a lot more water. Therefore, the pool has _____ thermal energy than the cup of tea even though the tea is hotter than the water in the pool.
14. Thermal energy in the _____ _______ or molecules is passed on to nearby particles in a process called conduction.
15. Substances that do not allow thermal energy to move through them easily are called ________.
16. In your own words, give an example of conduction that is not addressed on the page. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
17. Thermal energy is transferred from _____ places to ________ places (air or liquid) by convection.
18. Winds and air pressure systems such as hurricanes and tropical storms are formed by _______. When the ocean surfaces are heated up by the sun, warm air with moisture over the water surface _______ and cooler dense air ________ to fill up the space.
19. All objects transfer thermal energy by _____-___ radiation.
20. Radiation is how we can feel the heat of the Sun. The ________ energy is transferred by
21. Chemical Energy is energy stored in the bonds of chemical _____ (atoms and molecules).
22. Once chemical energy is released from a substance, that substance is ______ into an entirely new substance.
23. In your own words, explain in detail how coal is used to produce electricity. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
24. Matter is made up of atoms which contain ______ that are constantly moving.
25. A battery transfers stored ________ energy as charged particles called ______, typically moving through a wire.
26. __________ is one good example of electrical energy in nature, so powerful that it is not confined to a wire.
27. The ________ the gravitational energy of an object moving downwards, the _____ the kinetic energy.
28. The _____ the kinetic energy of an object moving upwards, the ______ its gravitational energy.
29. Radiant energy is the energy of _______________ _________.
30. The shorter the wavelength, the _________ its frequency on the electromagnetic spectrum.
31. The microwave oven works with the concept of _________ energy.
32. Energy cannot be _____ or ______, but it can be saved in various forms.
33. Give 4 examples of items in which energy is stored. ______, _______, _______, ______
34. Thermal and light energy from the sun is stored in plants as __________ and ______ energy.
35. In your own words, explain how the energy was transferred from the cue stick and dissipated through friction. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________